Saturday, July 11, 2009

Last night out????

Another day has run by me, or rather over me. It was 87 degrees today. So today I was only able to cover 35 miles . I lost a few miles looking for a place to stay Friday night and a few more today after I died from the heat. Mike however made up the miles for me on his bike. And it was toasty.

So that makes a total of 158 miles. Tomorrow there is only 22 miles left. Scappoose to Portland. I am hoping to cover the distance and arrive around 12:00, noon. I run better when it is a wee bit colder outside.

So retiring to Arizona isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The first of the bikers passed us on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. They were very supportive and cheering me on to the finish. It really helps me remember why I am doing this. Especially, when I am dying of heat exhastion.

Well, tomorrow is the last leg of this adventure. It will be over but not ever forgotten and at this point never attempted again by the likes of this "Old" man.

More tomorrow after all is said and done.

And Now Barb has a few choice words.

Oh, Thanks, Ed! LOL I'll be glad when this journey is at an end. We're all on edge, nerves are shot. The heat has gotten to us all - even us non runners as we sat waiting for Ed and Mike to catch up to us. Tired bum for me, I pulled a muscle on my right leg, inner thigh. This climbing in and out of the motorhome is for the birds! (But it is nice to have the motorhome! ! ! ! )

We're very grateful to Mike & Chris Evans for use of their motorhome. It was so nice not to worry about sleeping on the hard ground in a tent or paying for a motel/hotel. The fees for the rv parks were so inexpensive compared to a Motel 6. We stayed at Offut Lake Resort which is just up the street from Wolf Haven Int'l the first night. And , NO we didn't hear the wolves howling. I listened and didn't hear a single howl. It was nice and Ed got to soak his legs in Lake Offut.

Friday night found us at Toutle River RV Resort, fairly new, AWESOME facilities. The hike to the river was about 3/4 of a mile, not so good, but at least Ed got to soak his legs in the icy water. The only thing is the trains. they came by just about all night long, tooting their whistles. That's ok, the SHOWERS made up for it! LOL

Tonight we're at the Village Inn & RV park in St Helen's, OR. It's is totally paved, but the facilities are good. No river or lake for Ed to soak his legs, but that's ok, he can use the shower to spray his legs with cold water.

Kudos to all these places for taking us without us having made reservations. They all had electric hook-up and, most importantly WI-FI! ! ! ! ! FREE! ! ! ! YEAH! ! ! ! ! Otherwise, we would not have been able to keep the blog updated. WOO HOO!

That's all for tonight. More tomorrow once we get HOME! Ahhhhhhhhh, home sweet home! My own bed! It will be so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a message! We would love to hear from you, but, please, no "flaming"!