Sunday, July 12, 2009

Reprise

Yes, it is done.
It was awesome to come across the finish line to all the cheers (from the folks waiting for family and friends to ride through the chute. The even gave me a commemorative patch for completing the event
I even have two crispy calf muscles (sunburned); two bruised palms and a hip, a scraped up shoulder and elbow (from my little stumble in Chehalis); a bout with heat exhaustion (from the heat on days three and four); two tender knees (from the constant pounding on the concrete) and a whole bunch of tight muscles as a momento of this awesome adventure.

This is an adventure I will never forget. It would not have been possible without the support of Brooks Running who provided all the gear for this event. Thank you Brooks for all of your support (Melody, Brooks Bothel store and Corporate Office; Susan, Brooks Outlet store in the Auburn SuperMall; and Tamara, Brooks Corporate Office). You folks are awesome and your gear is top notch.

Every time I wear my gear I will think of your kindness and support.
It was a long run and there were a few times that I thought about giving up. The cheers from the folks who saw the clips on KING 5 and NW Cable News kept me going.
Once I crossed into Oregon it was a whole new story. The bike riders started flying by. Their words of encouragment pushed me on. I tried to stay out of their way and I hope that they weren't upset by this crazy guy running in on their parade.

Now that I have completed the run I have been asked, what's next? I am going to recouperate for a few days working and then I am headed to Cape Cod for a much needed vacation.

As far as what is next for the Elementary Track program? It ain't over yet. I have had a few discussions on what to do and it does not include me running to Portland either.
We have ideas and would love to hear other ideas from you, the followers and supporters of track and running.

Last thought from Ed & Barb:

We would be very unappreciative if we didn't take this opportunity to say how proud we are of our oldest and youngest children. Mike and Kim, you were AWESOME! This journey was bearable because of your love and support. Thank you just doesn't cut it to express how we feel about you coming with us. Mike, you deserve just as many kudos as your dad for riding the entire way on your mountain bike - including a stretch of 10 - 12 miles all by yourself when the heat got to be too much for your dad. Kim, I'm so glad you were there to keep me company and your dad too! Without you, I may have fallen asleep behind the wheel and that would have been bad!

To our other children: Ed couldn't have run and I couldn't have been away from home without your help. Angela, THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for taking care of the house and dog(s) while we were away. Dave and Carol, THANK YOU for your support, gifts, knowledge & help. We love you and the boys very much. Wish you could have come with us, but understand why you couldn't. Rick and Lisa: THANK YOU for your support, knowledge & help. We love you both and appreciate your help. We understand why you, also, couldn't make the trip with us.

So until next time, we'll SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Ed, on making the entire way in the time you planned. That's just awesome!! Will you keep the blog up for other news?? And Cape Cod? I live 8 hours from there and have never been there. You'll have a GREAT vacation!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a message! We would love to hear from you, but, please, no "flaming"!