Thursday, July 9, 2009

Second Day

Ok, so I goofed! Easy to do after the day I've had. This is Barb, the saner half of the Barney team. LOL I'm going to try to post pictures, I'm just not sure how to do it yet
We started out the day at 5 am, loaded up the motorhome, (again, THANK YOU, Chris & Mike!) with what we thought was everything we needed. We got to Celebration Park at about 6 something and left about 6:30.

Kim ran the first few miles with her dad, but then her ankle (?) gave out so I picked her up at about 356th and Pacific Highway S. Mike rode his bike along side them. We got into Tacoma about 8 am and met up with a photographer, Dean, from the News Tribune. He took some pictures in front of the Habitat for Humanity Home Store, as did I! LOL Ed, Kim and Mike then went up to Pacific Ave (Highway 7) and turned left towards Spanaway. UP that L O N G hill. Dean got some pictures of them coming up the hill, with downtown Tacoma in the background. Watch the News Tribune for pictures! Kim got back in the motorhome with me at that point as the hill just killed her.

So, Chris Sirrine, to answer your question, Ed is basically running this on his own. Mike is support on bicycle just in case anything happens. I'm a cell phone call away. I go about 5 miles ahead of Ed and wait until they get to me and then jump ahead another 5 miles.

Ed got to Rainier, WA and decided that he'd had enough for one day. Not bad for a 55 year old! He's my hero! He and Mike will start out tomorrown morning from where we're staying tonight.

Speaking of where we're staying, we're staying at the Offut Lake Resort. Nice place, flushies, showers! ! ! ! !, electric hook-up. Nice place. Right now, Ed, Mike and Kim are at the lake. Ed is getting his feet wet in the lake and cooling off. He's taking it easy and we're expecting to finish up on Sunday. I need to go get some pics of where we're staying tonight. I hope we find some place just as nice tomorrow.

HERE'S ED!:

Well, what a day it has been. We average 9:30-9:45 pace per mile. I am really surprised that we a moving along so well. We stop about every ten to twelve miles to change shoes and socks as need.

Brooks Running was gracious enought to provide me with all the running gear I needed for the entire run. The gear arrived on Wednesday afternoon. Not enough time to break in the shoes but by changing them out every ten to twelve miles by the time I finish this run they will be well broke in.

Although we finished running at Rainier, Mike and I will start our run from the RV park and make up the distance we shorted ourselves today.

By the time I got to Rainier my legs wer like rubber. The body was willing to continue the run but the legs said not way fella.

It is really great have a running/riding partner to keep me focused on the reason I am doing this. Occasionaly it slips my mind, especially towards the end of the day.

I was greatful for the coverage from KING TV and the TNT, as well as the multiple articles in The Mirror. As a result of the coverage we have recieved waves and honks from several folks as we ran down Hwy 7 and 507. It was inspiring to say the least.

Tomorrow we hope to make it to Lexington. That might be a bit optomistic but we'll try.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a message! We would love to hear from you, but, please, no "flaming"!